Tuesday 2 August 2016

Round Vancouver Island Again...22 Sept to 7 Oct 2016...

I have just decided that I am going to do the round Vancouver Island circumnavigation that I did last year - again with Nanaimo Yacht Charters and this time on Baraka Too. For a moment there the memories came flooding back on how such a great trip that was, tears came to my eyes. I am even hoping that the weather won't be as good and that we get a true taste of what we have to deal with. Last year the weather was lightweight and not a true test of an ocean faring experience. Not looking for madness but maybe just a true taste.

Here is what Dave Martin said of the May 2016 trip...

3 meter swells and 15kts of breeze always make the sailing fun.  Unfortunately  the Brooks Peninsula and the Solander Light in particular brought 40 plus knots of wind and 4 to 5 meter swell with 2 ft breaking waves on the top.  Needless to say, most of my students were seasick and not much good to me, however once around we tucked into Columbia Cove on the lee side of Brooks, threw out the hook and waited for two days for things to settle down.

Solander Island off Brooks Peninsula , West Coast Vancouver Island
I am told that Ian and Paul will be leading the two boats - great stuff! And I have my new sextant to use as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment