Monday 31 October 2016

Two New (Used) Sextants!!!

I have just closed a deal to acquire two used sextants from a fellow in Kingston, ON. They are a German Cassens & Plath made in 1978 and another German one, a Freiburger made in 1977.

These are both classic metal sextants and I will be delighted to take possession in about a week's time.

Cassens & Plath

Freiburger
They appear (from my distance and photos studied) to be in good and very good condition. Mirrors appear to be in a very good.

They both have split horizon mirrors, something that I am not used to but better to see dimmer stars. Can't wait to give them a try.

UPDATE - 9 November 2016

I took possession on the weekend. They are exactly as advertised. I have been using the Freiburger exclusively for the last few days and yesterday after getting the mirrors adjusted and Index Error sorted out - 2 sun sights gave me a fix that was spot on to my location. First time ever.

2 Sun Sights - Spot On to Actual Location
I have a new approach to determining IE which is to hold the sextant horizontal with shades, look at the sun with index 30' off the arc, sight the sun, adjust limb to sun - record the setting - then move the image to the other limb - record the setting, then subtract the difference and divide by 2. Whichever of Hi of becomes On or Off.

The split horizon mirror takes some getting used to - will be interesting with a real horizon.

The C&P is next for use and close handling.

No comments:

Post a Comment